Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Trick or Treat...goodies galore for All Hallow's Eve


All Hallow's Eve...
Every year I love to make cookies and purchase candies for goodie trays for All Hallow's Eve,
Christmas ,Valentines day and St.Patrick's day.
I make and purchase enough for a "gang" of 20-30 where farmfunnies hubby works, for several neighbors and friends and family.
For All Hallow's Eve I often make up treat bags for kids I know as well as some grown singles.
It is great fun, I even decorate bags . One year I glued a black pompom with eight pipe cleaner legs,tiny wiggly eyes and "drew" a silver sparkling "web"(with glitter tube paint ) for the little spider.
I am sharing this to get your creative juices "flowing"...to also create a sharing spirit within you.
When you give you get so much in return...really. Sometimes these gestures may be intangible,but never-the-less they are "there.
I double dog "dare" you to reach out in some way...don't do it to receive, don't expect or be disappointed if you see or hear nothing, but also don't be surprised at how good you will feel.
Actually I encourage you to embrace my mayflower attitude...it is actually a scriptural principal...do "it" in secret...try not to let anyone know who did "it".
This year I am inspired to do treat bags for those in the service...
I challenge you to pick a couple that you know or know of and make up a bag of treats for them,
while you are at it "tuck" in a couple of extras for them to give to a buddy who has no contact at home. You might want to make up a tray to take to your local firemen or police...include a card telling them how much you appreciate the risks and sacrifices they make to protect and keep you safe, for the freedoms they fight to maintain for you....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my owl cookies are made with two cookies dough cut outs touching one another (I "cheat" often placing two rounded drop cookies close together and flattened with a glass)
a cashew makes the beak. place a white candymelt on the warm cookie and press in a bit,then press in m&m pupils, let cool before lifting from the tray as they will break in half.
spider cup cakes....use licorice whips for legs . I found mine at a candy specialty shop
gumdrop eyes or ??? I liked making mine "hairy" with chocolate sprinkles..
for a tray I round it out with brownies topped with fudge frosting topped with candy corn
I then pile on candies to fill in the "gaps" and of course what All Hallow's eve tray would be complete without gummy worms?
Ready set, go now it's your turn to have some fun...I challenge you to make at least 1 tray
and five treat bags 2 for someone you don't know....and get ready to bless and be blessed...


No comments: