Sunday, February 24, 2008

Blondies and Breakfast Pinapple rolls (kolache)

GOOD MORNING

Just for fun and a change of pace, how about a couple of yummy treats, from my family farm kitchen to your family kitchen...............

ahhhhhh home made treats warm from the oven......

These particular recipes are ones I begged from a dear lady who made such good food for one of my high schools...many moons ago :-) I worked in the cafeteria and was blessed with the opportunity to learn many her delightful ways.(thus the grateful recipient of a few of her best recipes), she was one of my unsung hero's ( I have a post ruminating about these unsung hero's we each have in our lives, I will soon be sharing this in my merryheart blog,stay tuned over there...)....

These recipes need a bit of tweaking. Not only was Mrs. Racine one of those marvelous cooks who measured by "feel" sight and scent . Her recipes were for several hundred students , and even if "broken" down to home sized batches, there sometimes is something "lost" just by the sheer shift of batch volume....perhaps even slight degrees of oven temperature, would be the missing "ingredient". The students always bought lunches when one of these goodies was on the menu...and they came back for 2nds and 3rds if there happened to be any left ( I know as I was one of the kitchen help, in the serving and clean up crew)....a good reason many "lingered "in the cafeteria, no doubt ).

Each time I've made them ,I tinker a bit more to hopefully achieve "perfection" enjoy........... (Mrs. Racine may no longer be with us, I loved her dearly and would have treasured a peek at her personal cook books or recipe file.... hey in writing this (duh) I just realized I need to see if she is, my last move located me close to where she may still be.... Thus, let this be a reminder for you as well as for me ,to encourage you to think of someone who impacted your life and locate them...bless them with some flower's, or a card. or a BLONDIE .

One of my recent "mentors" is doing this on a daily basis and I am now too ...thanks to my SOC's (hugs Alicia). You can create and send a free ground-mail card as a gift from me to you, with no obligation, no "bugging" or whatever such is called....just the blessing of doing and sharing kindness to someone in your life...this is in my blog sidebar ..under friends, called send your love...enjoy!

BLONDIES (golden , rich, moist coconut treasure bars)

TA DA Mrs. Racine's recipe (especially for baby...middle... sis :-) you asked and here it is)

1 cup marg (I used butter the last time, so maybe this was the dif…(I’m anti marg, but have noticed sometimes margarine produces a better textured product) melt and then add the rest of the ingredients in order.
4 eggs
1 cup each of brown and white sugar
2-3 cups of flaked coconut ( I used a bit more as the last time I made these they were a bit soggy...but still yummy)
salt ??
(butter vs margarine, APOLOGIES to our gals...sorry, no offense intended to the memories of our dear Toffee,Daphne,Caramel and Daffodil (Dilly) the darling, gorgeous dark eyed 4 legged beauties...(Jersey's that is !!!! )…
place in thin greased baking pan ( 9 “ sq I think) 350 bake till set like omelet (sorry, the time varies with my current oven I'm thinking 20-30 min most ovens)


Her fabulous PINEAPPLE ROLLS (yum,drool)

make these for wonderful breakfast reviews from your "clan"
even if you are alone. Why not take some of the rolls to share with a friend a neighbor or at work...perhaps like me ,you too will receive a standing ovation for your efforts from your hubbies fellow workers....yay......blush, blush !!!!

2 pkt yeast, 1 cup warm water,1TBSP sug….dissolve
Add 1 cup scalded cooled milk.
6 TBSP melted short,
1/2 cup sug 1TBSP salt ,
3 eggs,
7 cups flour (add the last cup as it "feels" right)
stir all together,
knead ( now I sometimes make ½ the recipe, putting the liquid in my bread maker, then add dry ingredients and let my "home help" do the work, but I do love to knead bread on occasion :-)….
raise
roll cut with biscuit cutter
press center with small glass (for a “well”) raise press center again just before baking,
bake ( 350 have oven temp preheated before ) and I bake till lightly/golden about 20-30 min
my current oven is rather contrary, thus my time varies...so watch these on your first few attempts to get the right color

Filling

1 cup crushed pineapple 1 cup sug,1 cup water, to boil thicken with cornstarch cold water mix (like gravy) thicken cool some add 1 TBSP butter, 1 tsp vanilla put in centers, frost outer edges with powder sug glaze

many blessing to each of you and may your home fires be loved treasured and add daily value to each family member....even you if you are living alone....YOU are still your family member...:-)







No comments: