Thursday, August 2, 2007

Tiny, Soggy, Voratious Appetite With Squeeky Voice???

SMALL BEGINNINGS

I suppose it is poetic justice that my first post should begin small!
I should have been clever and taken a picture of the little critter, but who thinks to grab a camera at 4:45 a.m. ???

Hubby is getting ready to go to work and I interrupt him for an early a.m. pilgrimage to one of the busiest rooms in our small abode. Let's see ...one would think it would be the kitchen, after all it contains food... But there also always seems to be at least a few dirty dishes clamoring for "help", and more often a lot !!!! (Is that why there is always room in there?? I mean not lots of "action" going on in there even when all the family was home. Doesn't appear to be much now even, so how do the dishes keep getting dirty??? ..Hubby and I have even been eating prepackaged meals lately, for health, so go figure ????) (Ummm yes ,I know fly lady keeps her sink shiny...guess that's why I haven't seen any signs of emerging wings !!!) I'll bet you can guess - yes, it is the beloved "powder room".... Early morning adventures :-)

After my brief morning "visit" I head to the kitchen ...no sparkling lights from the sink this a.m. to light my way...oh dear....

I hear... Did you put a shrew in the sink? Hmmm I kinda shake my head and think what on earth is hubby talking about this time, so I say, what??? Exchange of same conversation several times... Finally I think, I'd better check this out... Is hubby muttering nonsense? Am I hearing correctly? He sort of sounds like he has this incredulous idea that I'm awake enough for playing a practical joke (which I confess, I am guilty at times...but where would I find a shrew at 4:30 a.m. ???)

Poor hubby is standing a way's from the sink, not sure what to do I suppose, so I walk over and peer into the sink. Yep, that's a poor bedraggled shrew alright, no dear, I wasn't having a farm funny moment (I had actually been trying to decide whether to go back to bed for a bit or start my day).

Poor little thing (Ha...)

Poor little critter, it was sopping wet and so pathetic looking, and since shrews are one of the keeping rodents on a farm (They eat their weight in... Gracious I can't remember what at this early time in the morning ... That's what happens when you begin those senior moments I guess... Anyway whatever they eat I know we don't want them so we always rejoice when we happen upon a shrew...)

While I didn't hear much rejoicing this morning, I did take pity on the critter and picked it up by the tip of the tail to give it a better home to catch and eat those 'whatever we don't like and want gone'. YIKES did you know they can climb up their own tail, kind of inside out like and bite you before you can say poor little thing. Well, I managed to let go before the chomp was administered, but new problem...itty bitty ,soggy, squeaky ,thing trying to get away, and I didn't want him/her inside. (Did you also know they are poisionous??)

YEAH BABY! (As a friend of mine is always saying) GRANDMA RULES!

I have a house rule... If you are a rodent w/o a cage (such as when kids had pet hamsters or gerbils... if you have more than four legs, fly and buzz or crawl at the same time (thus my canaries are allowed) ...or you slither and slide... You are not allowed to share my house! (Perhaps fly lady would be proud of me, one can always hope). Well, I grabbed some tissue... for a blanket to not only capture the little escape artist,but to dry him and allow me to safely transport? Hmmm... to deport :-) him to out side. All we could figure is it must have climbed up the sink drain...how on earth ??? I don't even want to think about that...At least not now...

So little shrew eat your weight in whatever it is we don't want. Love, live long, and prosper. Have many children and grandchildren and KEEP them all outside !!!!!

Since I'm starting out small, perhaps my next article should be... What is small, slick and green and in your shower? (No it isn't mold or moss !!!!)



3 comments:

Lindy said...

Yay Mom! You did it! Congrats on your first post - Life is sure never dull around there : )

Becky Frame said...

Long live Petruchio! Glad to hear you tamed the shrew. :-)

-Jeff and Becky

Betty Frame said...

love the comments, but I hardly think the little varmit is tame